Conconully began as a boom town called Salmon City by the miners who arrived seeking silver and gold. Their efforts were not particularly successful because the veins of ore were badly fractured. After the miners came farmers and ranchers, many of whom received a grant of land from the federal government and a rifle with which to defend it. In 1887 Conconully became a town of the Washington Territory. By 1889, in recognition of its central location within Okanogan County, Conconully was the county seat, a designation that continued until 1914. The county's first Protestant church was built in Conconully in 1903. This little white church (United Methodist) still holds Sunday services.
Noted Japanese photographer Frank Matsura arrived in Conconully in 1903 and worked at a local hotel. His pictures chronicle the area and its people. When the dam that formed Conconully Reservoir was constructed, his photos told the story of how vision, gravity, and manpower merged to supply water for the orchards of Pogue Flats. Matsura Park, which straddles the north fork of Salmon Creek as is flows through town, honors his genius.
The Conconully Museum, opened in 2003 and operated by the Conconully Area Historical Association, provides visitors with an insight of how residents lived and businesses were conducted during the early years of the last century. The museum is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekends and holidays, beginning with the last weekend in May and extending through the first weekend in September. It will also be opened by request for special viewing.
Phone: (509) 826-9050
Phone: (509) 826-4308
Website: VISIT WEBSITE